Thursday, July 29, 2010

Week 3

Here is my draft plan for the action research project.

Questions: What are the affects on elementary level student achievement in departmentalized classrooms versus self contained classrooms? What are the pros and cons of departmentalizing as well as self contained classrooms in the upper elementary grades?

Goals: To have data supporting student acheivement in self contained classrooms versus departmentalized classrooms. This will enable staff and administration to effectively make decisions regarding the issue. To have student, parent, and teacher reflections regarding the pros and cons of both. Having this will ensure teachers are prepared for either decision and can lessen future negative effects and opinions by students and parents.


https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1kUevQFt2tO3vI56kyTb9TG-i4D7L53cuWsgTk4O_kVg&hl=en#

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chastity,

    I look forward to your research and what you learn about self-contained versus departmentalized classrooms. I have taught in both and find that for me there are pros and cons to each setting. It would be interesting to see if research confirms my feelings and also what new insight I could gather from other's findings. I look forward to seeing what you learn.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chastity,
    I have also taught in both types of classrooms in upper elementary and I see pros and cons on both types of classroom settings. After teaching in a departmentalized classrooms for 7 out of my 9 years of teaching I have a tendency to lean that direction but will be interested to see if you have other findings in your research. Good luck and let me know if you need any additional help and what your findings are!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete